Item Catalog Number: 01002
Iodine is an essential element. Although its main function is in the production of thyroid hormones by the thyroid gland, other organs in the body have a need for iodine in order to function normally.(4)
Several investigators have shown convincing evidence for the need for adequate iodine intake.(6) Japanese women living in Japan consumed a daily average of 13.8 mg total elemental iodine and some research suggests this is an important factor for their relative health.(6) In the 1960's, one slice of bread in the USA contained the full RDA of 0.15 mg iodine. Over the last 2 decades, iodine was replaced by bromine in the bread making process. Bromine may block thyroid function and may interfere with iodine in the body.(4),(7)
The RDA limits for vitamins and minerals were established after World War II. One of the last essential elements included in the RDA system was iodine, established in 1980 and confirmed in 1989.(8) The RDA for iodine was based on the amount of iodine/iodide needed to prevent goiter, extreme stupidity and hypothyroidism.(9) The optimal requirement of the whole human body for iodine has never been studied. Therefore, the optimal amount of this element for physical and mental wellbeing is unknown. Based on demographic studies, the mainland Japanese consumed an average of 13.8 mg daily and they are one of the healthiest people on planet earth.(6)
Iodoral® is a precisely quantified tablet form containing 5 mg iodine and 7.5 mg iodide as the potassium salt. To prevent gastric irritation, the iodine/iodide preparation is absorbed into a colloidal silica excipient, and to eliminate the unpleasant taste of iodine, the tablets are coated with a thin film of pharmaceutical glaze.(10)
Serving Size 1 tablet
Servings per container 180
|Amount per serving:|
|Iodide (as potassium salt)
|Other ingredients: Micosolle®, a silica-based excipient containing a non-ionic surfactant, microcristaline cellulose, vegetable stearins and pharmaceutical glaze.
Dosage and Use
Take one (1) tablet daily with or without food, or as recommended by a healthcare practitioner.
KEEP OUT OF REACH OF CHILDREN
DO NOT EXCEED RECOMMENDED DOSE
Do not purchase if outer seal is broken or damaged.
When using nutritional supplements, please consult with your physician if you are undergoing treatment for a medical condition or if you are pregnant or lactating.
- Ghent, W., et al, Can. J. Surg., 36:453-460,1993.
- Eskin, B., et al, Biological Trace Element Research, 49:9-19, 1995.
- Marine, D., Atl. Med. J., 26:437-442, 1923.
- Abraham,G.E., The Original Internist, 11:17-36, 2004.
- Gennaro A.R., Remington: 19th Edition, 1995, Mack Publishing Co, 1267.
- Abraham, G.E., Flechas, J.D., Hakala, J.C., The Original Internist, 9:30-41, 2002.
- Epstein, S.S., et al, Prevention Program Macmillan, NY, 1998, pg5.
- Abraham, G.E., The Original Internist, 11:(2) 29-38, 2004.
- Abraham, G.E. Townsend Letter, 245:100-101, 2003.
- Abraham, G.E., Flechas, J.D., Hakala, J.C., The Original Internist, 9:5-20, 2002.