RECOMMENDATION NO 9
Inhibit Inflammatory Factors
Curcumin, found in the spice turmeric, gives curry its unique flavor and yellow color. A member of the ginger family, its medicinal uses date back over 6,000 years in the Middle and Far East. But its uses in modern medicine weren’t extensively studied until the mid-1970s. Since then it has gained attention for its multiple health benefits, including its ability to inhibit enzymes that help produce inflammation in the body.1-17
The benefits of curcumin affect virtually every organ system in the body. So no optimal health regimen should be without it.
The problem is that curcumin is neither absorbed nor retained well in the blood. So Life Extension uses BCM-95®, a patented, bioenhanced preparation of curcumin shown to reach up to 7 times higher concentration in the blood than standard curcumin.18 This curcumin is organically grown, cultivated to maturity, and processed to preserve and deliver the turmeric root’s most complete nutritional profile.
In studies comparing the effects of BCM-95® to conventional curcumin, researchers observed:19-20
- Nearly twice the support for immune health.
- About twice the support for inflammatory issues.
- Almost double the antioxidant support.
And a separate study indicated that this antioxidant-rich curcumin extract21 provided powerful support for heart health.
A 400 mg vegetarian capsule of Super Bio-Curcumin® with BCM-95® supplies the equivalent of 2,772 mg of commercial curcumin supplements.
Life Extension also offers Advanced Bio-Curcumin® with Ginger and Turmerones. After curcumin is extracted from turmeric, what remains is turmeric oil rich in compounds called turmerones. Combining these potent compounds with BCM-95® Bio-Curcumin® increases the amount of curcumin inside the cell. This formula also provides the greatest concentration of standardized ginger compounds, including beneficial gingerols and shogaols, to complement the health benefits of curcumin.
- Asian J Appl Sci. 2011;4:343-54.
- Tumour Biol. 2016 Jul 28. [Epub ahead of print].
- Molecules. 2016 Feb 25;21(3):264.
- JBI Database System Rev Implement Rep. 2015 Mar 12;13(2):59-73.
- Molecules. 2014 Dec 16;19(12):21127-53.
- Biomed Res Int. 2014;2014:761608.
- Food Chem Toxicol. 2014 Jul;69:182-201.
- Scientific World Journal. 2014 Jan 22;2014:174282.
- Evid Based Complement Alternat Med. 2013;2013:636053.
- Cancer Lett. 2014 May 1;346(2):197-205.
- Br J Pharmacol. 2013 Aug;169(8):1672-92.
- Altern Ther Health Med. 2013 Mar-Apr;19(2):20-2.
- Biofactors. 2013 Jan-Feb;39(1):78-87.
- Biofactors. 2013 Jan-Feb;39(1):133-40.
- Biofactors. 2013 Jan-Feb;39(1):122-32.
- Biofactors. 2013 Jan-Feb;39(1):141-9.
- Indian J Biochem Biophys. 2012 Oct;49(5):306-15.
- Indian J Pharm Sci. 2008 Jul-Aug;70(4):445-9.
- Int J Pharmacol. 2009;5(6):333-45.
- J Food Nutr Res. 2009;48(3):148-52.
- Arch Gerontol Geriatr. 2002 Feb;34(1):37-46.