500 mcg, 100 lozenges
Item Catalog Number: 00361
Vitamin B12 is present in foods of animal origin, including dairy products and eggs. Thus, vegetarians are more susceptible to a dietary deficiency of this important nutrient.1
Likewise, vitamin B12 serum concentrations are reported to be significantly lower in elderly population groups compared to younger groups.2-5
It is estimated that 10% to 30% of individuals over the age of 50 have low stomach acid secretion6-7 which results in decreased bioavailability of vitamin B12 from food. To overcome food-bound vitamin B12 malabsorption problems, the Institute of Medicine recommends that vitamin B12-fortified foods (such as fortified ready-to-eat breakfast cereals) or supplements containing vitamin B12 be used to meet much of the requirement.8
Vitamin B12, or cobalamin, works synergistically with vitamin B6 and folate to regenerate (methylate) the amino acid methionine, which helps to maintain already healthy homocysteine levels within normal range, which is important for heart health.9-12
Serving Size 1 lozenge
|Amount Per Serving
|Vitamin B12 (as methylcobalamin)
|Other ingredients: mannitol, sorbitol, microcrystalline cellulose, vegetable stearate, croscarmellose sodium, natural strawberry flavor.
Non-GMODosage and Use
Take one (1) lozenge one to four times daily with or without food, or as recommended by a healthcare practitioner.
Place lozenge in mouth and allow to dissolve, then swallow.Warnings
KEEP OUT OF REACH OF CHILDREN
DO NOT EXCEED RECOMMENDED DOSE
Do not purchase if outer seal is broken or damaged.
When using nutritional supplements, please consult with your physician if you are undergoing treatment for a medical condition or if you are pregnant or lactating.
- Exp Biol Med (Maywood). 2007 Nov;232(10):1266-74.
- Am J Clin Nutr. 2009 Feb;89(2):693S-6S.
- Prev Med. 2004 Dec;39(6):1256-66.
- Am J Clin Nutr. 1999;70:904-910.
- Am J Clin Nutr. 2008 Aug;88(2):348-55.
- JAMA. 1997 Aug 27;278(8):659-62.
- J Am Geriatr Soc. 1986 Nov;34(11):800-6.
- Epidemiology. 2007 May;18(3):367-8.
- Lancet. 2002 Jan 19;359(9302):227-8.
- Asia Pac J Clin Nutr. 2007;16(1):103-9.
- Handb Exp Pharmacol. 2005;(170):325-38.
- Altern Med Rev. 2003 Feb;8(1):7-19.